Sunday, October 6, 2013

Book Review: "The Missing Kitten"

I actually read this book (by the talented Jesse Rice) a while back; I was one of the people Jesse had help out with the editing. I’ve been meaning to write this review for quite a while, but I procrastinate terribly. *sheepish half-smile* 

However, I am writing it now. So, without further ado – the book review of The Missing Kitten.

The first thing I’m going to mention is that, though I believe the book was aimed towards a younger audience, it will be enjoyable to people of any age – I’m sixteen, and I enjoyed every single page of the book. So don’t let the age range you perceive the book to be aimed at deter you from checking it out, I beseech thee!

Here is the description of the book, as seen on Amazon:

Missing In Action!
When imaginative Rambo discovers his kitten friend Seabert has vanished, he isn’t immediately worried. However, once he starts looking, he finds himself drawn into a plot involving a catnapping and a scheme to destroy the farm. Can Rambo rescue his friend from the forest, or will Seabert be lost forever?


I don’t know about the rest of you, but that description alone would be enough to convince me to buy the book.

The Missing Kitten is a story of excitement, adventure, loyalty, and courage. You find yourself emotionally invested in the characters quite soon off; all of them are very third-dimensional and fun to read about. They all have quirks and flaws, just like real-life humans (and animals!) do.

Okay, all of my excited rambling aside, I’ll get on to the pros and cons. And don’t expect many cons, just as a heads-up.
~~
Pros:
- The characters were well-developed and extremely likeable. You find yourself mentally cheering them on and hoping the protagonists succeed in their mission. I believe that Jesse Rice did a very good job, however, of not making all of the antagonists completely unlikeable either; some of the antagonists have a side to them that make the reader sympathize somewhat—but not enough to stop rooting for the good guys. That is a hard balance to meet, but Jesse meets it perfectly.


- There is a well-kept balance between the excitement; there is plenty to keep a person turning the pages, but it’s not all action, all the time, which is always a good balance to have in a book.

- The writing style and choice of words are easy enough for younger readers to understand, but not so much so as to bore older readers. Somehow, Jesse managed to write it so that both older and younger readers could enjoy it.
~~
Cons:
- Uhhh… the only cons I could find were fixed in the last edit of the book, to be honest. *grins* I’m telling the truth, I really don’t have any cons for this book. It’s a wonderful story!
~~
So yes, I think that’s all there really is to say! If you get the chance, definitely check out this book; it’s well worth it. And, there will be more. A sequel is already in the works. If you like this first book, then you’ll get to read more!

If you have any questions about the book, let me know, and I’ll answer them!

God bless.

~ Theodora Ashcraft

1 comment:

  1. Aw, now I want to read it! It sounds like a fun book!! I will have to add it to my to read list.

    ReplyDelete