Saturday, December 28, 2013

Author Interview With - J. Grace Pennington!

And, introducing Miss J. Grace Pennington! It was a joy to get the chance to interview her.

1.      So, tell us about your latest book.

My latest book is called Firmament: In His Image, and is the second book in my Firmament sci-fi series.  The logline is: After accidentally running awry of the laws of a civilization that scientifically shouldn't exist, a stranded away team must figure out what?s going on and find a way to escape before they are all executed.

More information can be found at http://firmamentseries.com/in-his-image/


2.      How long have you been writing?

Since I was about five years old.  I was always a storyteller, and one afternoon while my mom was napping, it occurred to me that I could write a book, so I did.  It only had six pages, but it was a book nonetheless, and I haven't stopped writing since!


3.      What is your favorite genre(s) to write in?

Science-fiction, hands down.  I enjoy exploring ideas to their furthest potential and creating fascinating new worlds and problems, but still leaving a semblance of reality.  I think sci-fi is a great genre for Christians, because they can address a lot of issues very strongly.


4.      Where do you get inspiration?

Everywhere!  Dreams, life, books, movies, imagination.  A lot of times I'll start off with a list of different things I want to include (a specific relationship, a setting, a premise, even an object) and try to build a story that includes all of them.


5.      What is a typical schedule for you?

Schedule?  What's that? ;)  I suppose loosely I get up between seven and eight, do chores for my family, then after lunch I try to do writing-related stuff.  But I often will write none at all for days and then thousands of words in one afternoon.  It's sadly erratic.  I must remedy this.


6.      Do you have a favorite food or drink to snack on while you write?

Tea and homemade granola is good.  Preferably black tea.  But milk and brownies or cookies will do.  So will M&Ms and water.  But tea is a favorite.


7.      What is one tip you would give to other writers?

My secret?  Writer's block doesn't exist.  Keep writing and don't stop, not even when you have no ideas.  Like genius, writing is about one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration.  Hard work and perseverance is what gets books written.  Press forward even if it's junk, because you can edit anything but a blank page!

Thanks for the interview!

No comments:

Post a Comment