Sunday, April 29, 2012

Kamikaze!


No, Kamikaze isn't the title of a novel I'm planning on writing (although that would be an epic title). It's the name of a song by Owl City (also known as Adam Young).
Before you start telling me it's not writing related, hear me out.
When I first got Owl City's All Things Bright and Beautiful CD, I was borderline obsessed. I listened to it every chance I got. In bed, during school, in the car, at the store...

One of my favorite songs on that CD was Kamikaze. After listening to it about forty times, I began to get the inklings of a novel idea lurking there.
Encouraged by this, I told my mom to leave me in the car while she and my brother went into the grocery store.
While they were gone, I listened intently to Kamikaze, and, lo and behold, the novel idea hit me (not the whole plot, but you get the idea)! If you hear something that sounds like a character in the song (such as 'captain on a snowy horse', my personal favorite), or an event (such as 'maybe I'll ride to save my life'), I'm probably going to put it in the story somewhere.

That was the beginning of Dreamscape, a novel I haven't written one word of, but one that I've been brainstorming and thinking about since Winter of 2011.
The basic plot I've gotten done is as follows (not a synopsis; I'm no good at writing those yet).

Riley Pierson and Derek Gates are best friends, yet they're as
different as can be--Riley is in training to become a medical surgeon, while Derek dropped out of high school and goes from job to job.
Both of them get together one day, and that is when everything changes.
Somehow (I haven't worked this aspect out yet), Riley and Derek are transported into an alternate reality of sorts. A future where all of the mythical creatures and medieval warriors who used to be in charge have taken control of Earth once again, and are transforming it more to their liking. This alternate future is called Dreamscape.
((Author's Note: Yes, that means that in the future, there will not be flying cars. There will be Gryffins and Dragons. There will not be laser guns. There will be swords and bow-and-arrows. Why? Because the past is making a comeback in the future, so to speak.))
Riley and Derek now have to find a way to get back home. As they search for someone who can send them back home, they are called upon to do quests for witches, wizards, army captains, and other beings--and they do them, mostly so they can avoid being killed or drawn and quartered or whatever.

That's the main plot. I still don't have the fine points planned out, after all these months...then again, I've been pretty darn busy, and I want to finish the first book in my fantasy trilogy before I start something else.


So...yes! I included a YouTube video of Kamikaze up there; let me know what you think! Also, do you have any ideas for my plot? If so, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment