Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Book Review: Sword in the Stars (Book One in the Dark Sea Annals), by Wayne Thomas Batson

I first heard about this book from Varon (check out his blog HERE). I decided to check it out at the library and see what it was about.
I was into the book about...five pages, and was instantly hooked. I spent all that day and the next reading it. I spent so long reading it, I finished it in about three days; and that's saying a lot, considering how long it is!
Here's the blurb from the back cover:

Haunted by memories of a violent past, Alastair Coldhollow wagers his life on the hope that a sword will appear in the stars and the foretold Halfainin, the Pathwalker, would come. Meanwhile, tensions simmer between Anglinore and the murderous Gorrack Nation, threatening war on a cataclysmic scale. The fate of all could rest on an abandoned child and the decisions of those who desperately seek to identify him.That blurb mentions the phrases 'violent past', 'war on a cataclysmic scale', and 'the fate of all could rest on an abandoned child'. That was enough to make me think, Right, I better go check this book out.
Here are some facts about the book in general.
426 pages
Third-person POV (though it switches from person to person every so often)
Published by Living Ink Books
Has a list of the principal races featured, and the characters of those races
Link To The Sword In The Stars On Amazon
I'm not going to list pros and cons because the whole book was good (what can I say? I'm very un-picky about what I read), save for a few minor grammatical errors and plot holes.

As for my favorite character, it's Alastair Coldhollow, hands-down. Which is odd, because I'm not usually a big fan of the main characters. I normally like the supporting characters.
Oh, and Captain Dagspaddle. He amuses me to no end, for some reason. ^.^

Right, so. If you didn't read through this whole post, always remember: I know where you live.

...this review wasn't even that long, so I'm not putting a brief statement about what it said. Read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment